Wednesday, March 7, 2012

computer fixed. art on!

sadly my laptop was broken for a couple weeks, luckily the bug was removed in exchange for only a batch of brownies.

art on!

the semester is more than halfway over, and i can hardly believe it.
i've also decided to get my BA (bachelor of arts) and not BFA (bachelor of fine arts).
there are pros and cons to this decision, but mostly pros for my life right now.

this is one of my favorite semesters ever. hands down.
the artists that have come to studio seminar have inspired me so much.

one of my favorites:



































he introduced himself as a "husband, father, teacher, and artist."
i love that.

i want to be "WIFE, MOTHER, ARTIST"....with like, friend, sister, daughter, teacher, neighbor in there too, of course.

he is an amazing artist and i really love how he went about his career.
i wrote down so many things he said that inspired me, like

"walk the line between figuration & paintings (visual harmony and tension)"

he quotes one of my favorite artists Chuck Close, "inspiration is for amateurs, it comes from work!"

i love this. sometimes i don't start on a project or sketch something because i don't know where i want it to go, or how i will do it. that shouldn't start me from working. i should sketch, and sketch. and work.

"I know who I am as an artist and i'm okay with that!"

the last quote especially, i don't know where i am as an artist yet. but i do know where i would like to be.


my old friend bethany davis also had her BFA photography show this last month. it was wonderful.

she displayed her photos in such a wonderful way. the show was entitled Tithing Child: a photographic memoir












each refrigerator door displayed photos of each of her 9 siblings and their families. it was awesome to look at the fridge door and see the personalities and lives of all those Davis kids and read about them as described by their youngest sister bethany. she did a great job. check out her block if you'd like!


































and finally i'm going to post some of the work i've done in the last month.
questions and critiques? i'd love them.

try to pick the artist from the image!
hint: 4th down on the far left is Amy Winehouse and beside her is Bob Marley. my favorites on there are Willow Smith and Britney Spears.



this was my steel fabrication piece. it's the SC tree and moon abstracted.

1 comment:

Danna said...

I love your SC tree. It is so cool. And I love Bethany's fridges. That's such a neat idea!